Do you want to see the most popular Italian meatball recipe? Wrap your lips around this one.
This recipe was given to me by my 105 years old Sicilian great-grandmother. This is the real deal.
Best Meatball Recipe
- Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
- 1 pound combined beef, veal, pork (must be fresh)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Romano Locatelli cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic – chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
(All mixing is done by hand)
- In a large bowl mix beef/beef/pork with egg.
- Then add the breadcrumbs, cheese and salt.
- Finally add the chopped garlic gradually.
- Add a little garlic, then stir.
- Add more, then mix.
- This way all the garlic doesn’t end up in one meatball.
- Now, it’s time to roll the ball. The average size is about 2 inches in diameter.
- I usually get around 18 to 20
- meatballs per pound.
IMPORTANT! Don’t cook meatballs in your pasta sauce! Meatballs cooked in sauce lose their taste. The real key to delicious meatballs is cooking them in the oven. So, preheat the oven to 375. Place the meatballs on a rack – then on a baking sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes on one side, then 10 minutes on the other.
WATCH OUT If you choose to fry your meatballs, make sure you’re alone. The aroma is so overwhelming that anyone who smells it will instantly steal your meatballs from the frying pan.
I froze the meatballs in a plastic bag and grabbed what I needed for dinner. I just dropped the meatballs in the sauce as if they were heating up.